Home About Me My Classroom Blogs I Love Freebies Instagram TeachersPayTeachers Pinterest BlogLovin Image Map

Monday, April 14, 2014

ANTonyms and a FREEBIE!


We’re working on antonyms this week, which I'm loving.  Somewhere in my travels on Pinterest last week, I came across a couple awesome antonym pins.  I can’t seem to find the original poster, (if anyone knows who it is, please let me know so I can give proper credit!) but it seems to be a popular idea – maybe there isn’t an “original” poster!  (Side bar: that’s one of the things I love most about teaching – so many “original” ideas have been thought of before!)

Anyway, I LOVE LOVE LOVE giving my students visuals and tricks to help them remember things.  I’ve had MANY kids confusing antonyms and synonyms this year – so this poster is SUCH a huge help!  Hopefully in the future they’ll hear “antonyms” and immediately picture ANTS… and then they’ll remember the difference.  J


This morning we started with a read aloud (as MANY of my lessons do!).  We read A Special Gift: An Antonym Story by Christine Corona.  I actually have a class set of these books, so while I was reading it aloud, my kids were reading it with me.  At the end of each page, we stopped and talked about the different pairs of antonyms and made a chart on the board.  I forgot to take a picture of it, but we added our own ideas to the chart on the board as well.

Afterwards, they each picked a pair of words and illustrated them on their own little ant.  I love how they turned out!  I tend to have perfectionist tendencies, so I like making the poster myself and then adding in examples from the kids… it’s a perfect combination of my Type A personality and KidCentric – in my opinion.  J



I love how this little guy has a ponytail!




We left our list of antonyms on the board.  Tomorrow, as a quick review/assessment, I’m giving them each a page to fill out with 4 ants on it.  I made it a quick FREEBIE, which you can find here!

No comments:

Post a Comment